Saturday, December 4, 2010

Just to be you....so on fire, so free

We don't like our thighs to touch, or our butts too big. Our stomachs unshapely, or our biceps untrimmed. I see your beauty, and I cannot see mine. Why are we so blind? We run until we puke, religiously.

I can look in the mirror and pick out flaws until there are no good things left about me. And yes, I struggle with it.. Other days I could care less whether or not I eat McDonalds. I just want to know how we let ourselves believe these lies....that we aren't worthy, pretty, beautiful inside and out. I want to know why it's so hard for us to believe the truth. Why are our bodies such a hangup?

There was a 119 percent rise in eating disorder related hospitalizations between 1999 and 2006 for kids under 12. This should say something to us. Most of us that feel shameful when we look at our bodies, however, will shrug this off and say, "That doesn't change the way I think about myself". It's involuntary. it's not like we want to find something wrong with ourselves every time we look into a mirror.

I want to challenge anyone who feels inadequate to go against the grain and learn to believe the fact that you aren't. You aren't inadequate. You are worth something. Don't let others make you feel like you're not. You are your own person. You are beautiful. You, stop worrying about your body obsessively. Love yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment